League of Women Voters of Perrysburg Area Board Policies & Objectives
1. The Executive Committee shall consist of president, program vice president, membership vice president, correspondence and recording secretaries and treasurer. When necessary, the Executive Committee will meet between board meetings for the purpose of planning and carrying our housekeeping details. The committee shall not act on matters of policy. It will report its activities to the full Board.
2. If any office is held by two people (co) both shall have voting privileges on the Executive Committee and on the Board. Only one co-president shall conduct a meeting.
3. All expense vouchers for items outside the approved budget must be counter-signed by the president or vice president. All bills and requests for reimbursement must be accompanied by a receipt and submitted to the Treasurer promptly.
4. Expenditures which exceed $100.00 must have Board approval and should be in writing.
5. The deadline for materials in The Voter is the day of the Board meeting. The Voter is subject to presidential approval.
6. The League speaks with one voice. All publicity releases and League material shall be submitted for presidential approval. Letters to the editor must go out over the president's name unless another member is designated by the president
7. The person responsible for preparation of written material over whose signature it will be released must have the privilege of proofreading and approving the printed copy prior to release.
8. Anyone wanting time on the agenda must notify the president before the meeting. Board members should notify the president if unable to attend a meeting.
9. The League may take action on governmental measures and policies in the public interest. However, it shall not support or oppose any party or candidate. Board members shall not run for or hold office. If a Board member declares for an elective office, the member shall resign from the Board. Public notices released by the League announcing the resignation of a Board Member to run for a political office shall be carefully worded to avoid the appearance of endorsing the resigning Board member's candidacy. The President(s) and Voter Service Chair(s) shall not (1) allow their picture or their name to be used in connection with a political campaign (2) chair or administer fund raising or (3) chair campaign events. The President(s) and Voter Service Chair(s) shall not display candidate signs in their yards or work in any significant way in a campaign. 2 Activities must be limited to preserve the League's non-partisan position. A board member may serve on any public board, commission, committee, or coalition. However, that Board member does not represent the League unless officially designated as a League representative by the League Board. A Board member may not speak or work against a League position in any way. The political activities of a spouse or relative of a Board member are to be considered as separate and distinct from the activities of that Board member.
10. A candidate for public office or a person who has served in a public office will become eligible for Board Membership at the next annual meeting following the candidacy or term of office.
11. The corresponding secretary will send appropriate cards to members for certain occasions: Hospitalization or illness, death of a relative. Flowers (or appropriate contribution) will be sent on the following occasions: death of a member, death of a member's spouse or member's child.
12. The membership list is solely for the convenience of League members and shall not be used for any mailing without permission of the Board.
13. Co-sponsoring of activities shall be limited to other LWV's or organizations whose goals are compatible with LWV. Great care should be taken before joining coalitions.
14. Exceptions or amendments to the above policies within a League year require a two-thirds vote of Board members present and voting at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Board. (Approved June 16, 1997)
15. If appreciable sums of money are managed by the League, a fidelity bond should be purchased to cover those handling the funds.
16. Observers may speak to government bodies with the board's permission if there is an applicable program position. They speak as citizens to such groups if they make clear they are speaking for themselves.
17. The president should see that LWVUS and LWVO action alerts are acted upon appropriately.
18. Committees shall meet at the beginning of the year to develop strategies for meeting the board's priorities and bring their plans to the board for approval. Board members take office immediately after the Annual Meeting.
19. The Voter Service Chairman shall be a director nominated by the Nominating Committee
Investment Policy for the League of Women Voters of Perrysburg Area Stranahan Account (Adopted May 22, 2018)
The Virginia Secor Stranahan League of Women Voters of Perrysburg Funds shall be deposited into an investment account with Skotynsky Financial Group LLC, Perrysburg, Ohio, Broker Matt Skotynsky, Raymond James & Associates, Inc. The account is currently invested in all mutual funds. The dividends from the mutual funds are ACH (electronic fund transfers) to our General Fund bank account except for Hartford Growth Opportunities. This mutual fund dividends are reinvested back into this fund. The dividends are received monthly but some funds pay out quarterly so the dividends are larger every quarter.
a. Fixed Income- 70-80%
b. Maximize return with minimal risk. Risk tolerance for these accounts is low;
c. A small portion of the portfolio, perhaps 20-30%, should be invested for long term needs to keep up with inflation, balanced with growth;
a. The Investment Committee shall consist of the at least two members of the Executive Committee. These will be the President and the Treasurer.
b. The Committee shall monitor the capital reserve balances and ensure that these funds are invested and reinvested within the guidelines of the investment policy on a timely basis.
c. No member of the Executive Board or Investment Committee shall be remunerated for any services rendered on behalf of the League of Women Voters of Perrysburg.
a. On a semi- annual basis, an Investment report shall be prepared and submitted by the Committee or Matt Skotynsky, Broker Advisor, to the Board of Directors.
b. The Board of Directors shall review this LWV of Perrysburg Fund Investment Policy periodically and may amend the policy as conditions warrant. The Treasurer and/or President may recommend amendments to the policy as necessary. Revised and approved May 2018